Friday, August 15, 2008

LA Boxing

Since I will be in the health profession, and lets face it, I needed to, I decided to lose some weight to get healthy. To do this I started riding the exercise bike in our garage. Let just say I got bored with this, about the time I sat down on the machine. I get bored quite easily and lets face it, if I am bored with exercise there is not a chance that I can stick with it.

So I was doing ok with sticking with the bike, when one day my Mom came in and said I found the PERFECT gym for you. (since me and the thought of being really sweaty in front of muscular boys is not my idea of good time, I was skeptical) I was like, "okay let me hear about it". She said that there is a boxing place where there are classes that you can burn up to 1000 calories an hour. Then I was like okay! I am interested and a little skeptical.

Well the next day (or the next hour) my mom went and checked it out and she told me, "Megan there is a boxing ring and equipment you can buy like boxing gloves etc". So I was totally sold, because lets face it ladies, when we get to accessorize, well we are all sold.

So I checked it out. Overall I loved the look, was extremely intimidating, but I thought, "well why not, I think this would be exciting". So I thought it over for a weekend and then I tried it out.

First time I thought I might die. Now that might seem like an exaggeration, nope not an exaggeration I really thought I was going to die. You just do not realize how your body gets "soft" when you do not use it correctly and how hard it is to actually get going back to where you are suppose to be, after not doing something for a while, like since high school sports.

So anyway I thought I was going to die but I tried it again. And again. Then I decided that I should sign up. I love it y'all. It is empowering and a great workout. Not to mention that I can actually throw a punch now, which, I am not sure how handy that will be when I am a physical therapist but hey it seemed important to mention. Anyway, back to the story.

Well it has been about a month since I started. During my journey me and my Nemesis met quite often. The scale. The instrument to which we women judge ourselves daily, weekly or monthly by. So me and my nemesis met and each time no loss, gain, no loss etc..... sooooo I continued on my weight loss goals and went to kickboxing three times a week. Now I feel healthier, better, and more in shape. I still have a long way to go, but I feel better.

So today my mom and I went shopping for some clothes for school. She is determined to make me more feminine and I am resisting with every fiber if my being. Sorry but I am stubborn like that, anyway I got on the scale this morning I have officially gained two pounds since last week. After throwing the scale across the room I went shopping with my mom. I reluctantly tried on clothes. Now this is make or brake time people, this is when you know if you are doing good or bad on your diet, since new clothes never lie. So I tried on a few things and, wait a minute I need a smaller size in these shirts. Oh and in these pants.

WAIT A MINUTE I LOST A SIZE!!

After a little dance in the dressing room and much rejoicing I bought some new smaller outfits. People, it goes to show you that, you should not give up when you gain weight and you are working out regularly. You are probably gaining muscle that weighs more than fat and you are losing inches.

So needless to say I can not wait to go to kickboxing tomorrow. So keep it up you dieters!!!, if I can do it so can you!!!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay! for kickboxing! That looks SO fun. You have a great illustration -- we try SO hard not to let the scale dictate our lives and judge us, yet it does. You have the perfect illustration of it not always telling the WHOLE story!

Donna Ware said...

I had fun doing the "happy dance" with you in the dressing room at Cato's. I love your new smaller size clothes! They are cute and yes, a little more feminine than, lets say warm ups and T-shirt.

I have a question, next month after you lose to the next smaller size, do I get to buy you a new wardrobe? If so, I am sooo there! I love that "happy dance!"

Proud of you my precious Meggie

Mom

Anonymous said...

Yea! Congratulation Megan! Happy for you! I'm working on this myself. Thank you for the encouragement. I needed it more than you know. Have a happy and fun
weekend. Donna Altman

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

That's exciting. I'm very proud of you! Plus, buying new clothes is so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've found something you that's a kick that you like!

Great 'do and kickin' too!

Daddio!

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan . . . I'm the director of marketing for LA Boxing Franchise Corporation out in Calif. and I'm really happy to hear of your success!! It's stories like yours that make LA Boxing the #1 Boxing and Kickboxing gym in the world! Keep up the good work, girl, accessorize your brains out with lots of LA Boxing and Main Event gear :-). But most importantly, don't give up. I sincerely hope you reach your goals and continue to push it to the next level. Lots more big things to come from LA Boxing. Stay tuned. You'll love what you see in us and we look forward to seeing more success from you.

Tammy M. said...

Megster rocks the house. You never know when a punch will come in handy! So glad there was a happy dance party, and who knew you were such good friends with the marketing division of LA Boxing. So excited for you!